26 Nov To successfully complete this assignment, you will need to: Refer to Chapter 9, ‘The Staff World: Managing the Prison Popu
To successfully complete this assignment, you will need to:
- Refer to Chapter 9, "The Staff World: Managing the Prison Population," in your Corrections in the 21st Century textbook.
- Use the Strayer University Library to conduct research on the role of corrections officers and the challenges they face.
- The B.S. in Criminal Justice library guide is a good place to start your research.
- Explore the Department of Corrections website for your state.
- In your browser of choice, simply type the name of your state and department of corrections. For example: Minnesota Department of Corrections.
Corrections is one potential career option for people studying or working in the criminal justice field. According to the textbook authors, career opportunities exist as many states face a shortage of correctional officers. Likewise, staff turnover is high (Schmalleger, 2021).
Before making such an important decision to pursue this type of career, you'll want to educate yourself on the major responsibilities required of this role and the challenges these officers face on a daily basis. This assignment will give you the opportunity to do just that by writing a 3–5 page research paper on the roles and challenges of correctional officers.
After reviewing this week's textbook reading and conducting research on the roles and challenges of corrections officers, you are to write a 3–5 page research paper in which you:
- Explain the correctional facility staff hierarchy and the four main goals of correctional staff members, including the importance of each goal.
- Outline the effectiveness of the five types of power available to correctional staff to manage inmate behavior.
- Describe the factors contributing to correctional officer corruption within correctional facilities.
- Report on the symptoms of stress for correctional officers and the associated underlying factors.
- Summarize the effectiveness of the methods correctional officers use to cope with stress.
- Use three sources to support your writing.
- Choose sources that are credible, relevant, and appropriate.
- Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment.
- Access the Strayer University Library or review library guides for help with research, writing, and citation.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions. Note the following:
- The preferred method is for your paper to be typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the assignment title, your name, your professor's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- Include a source list page. Citations and source list entries must follow SWS format. The source list page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Research the employee hierarchy of a correctional facility and the systems in place to help those employees complete their duties.
Frank Schmalleger. 2021. Corrections in the 21st Century. CRJ410 McGraw Hill Education 9th edition textbook available at https://www.strayerbookstore.com