14 Jan Kim’s friend John started taking a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor for depression. His doctor told him that serotonin is
Kim's friend John started taking a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor for depression. His doctor told him that serotonin is a neurotransmitter. John asks Kim what a neurotransmitter is and if there is more than one neurotransmitter. What should Kim tell John? Include answers to the following in your response:
- Define the purpose of neurotransmitters.
- Describe the function of serotonin.
- Name three other neurotransmitters and describe their functions.
Carol is working in a nursing home and is approached by a woman whose mother is recovering from a stroke. The patient can speak but has difficulty understanding others. The woman wonders what area of the brain was damaged by the stroke. She also wonders how doctors can identify the location of the damage. Answer the following questions:
- Name the damaged area and describe its location.
- What area of the brain might be damaged if the patient could understand speech but didn’t make sense when she was speaking?
- Name each lobe of the cerebral hemispheres, describe the location, and give an example of a specific skill that could be affected if the lobes were damaged.
Name and discuss three brain imaging techniques. Describe what happens to a patient during each of these techniques, what is measured, and what the test results look like.
Cite any sources you use using the APA format on a separate page no plagerism