10 May Education without action is like a billboard in a basement?big, bold, but actionable to no one. By incorporating social change as part of its mis
Education without action is like a billboard in a basement—big, bold, but actionable to no one. By incorporating social change as part of its mission statement, the leadership of Walden University is asking students, faculty, and leadership to consider the possibility of how to use one’s education to deliberately be in the world and make some part of it a better place.
Consider what you have learned from this course—the fundamental procedures of how to conduct qualitative research; and the critical processes that identify the researcher as a self-reflective co-participant. For this week, reflect on how these considerations have influenced your understanding of research and your direction for your dissertation or doctoral study.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the readings from the Ravitch and Carl and Rubin and Rubin and consider reflecting on your experiences in qualitative research throughout this course.
- Review the media programs related to The Qualitative Dissertation Experience: A Doctoral Candidate Experience and consider the experience of other doctoral candidates through this qualitative research process.
- Explain what social change means to you as a Walden doctoral candidate. What experiences from the course most influenced your understanding?
- Explain what in qualitative research you would like to know more about as a result of taking this course.
- Reflect on your problem statement and the next steps for developing a research topic for your dissertation or doctoral study. Include an explanation of whether you would choose a qualitative approach, why or why not.