24 Jun Describe the relationship between societal needs and professional practice Scenario Youve just transferred to the LAPD (Los Angeles Police Department). Your supervisor wo
In this project, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following competency:
- Describe the relationship between societal needs and professional practice
You’ve just transferred to the LAPD (Los Angeles Police Department). Your supervisor would like you to assess the ongoing policing issues surrounding homelessness through a community policing lens. This complex, long-standing issue needs a more proactive, positive approach.
You will be creating a written community plan for how your office should move forward in addressing the policing issues surrounding homelessness in Los Angeles from a community policing standpoint. Your plan should focus on the relationship between police legitimacy and public trust, public opinion and procedural justice, community policing, and policing adaptations. For the plan, create a written product with all sections identified that addresses all of the required elements using the Project Three Scenario:
- Explain the link between police legitimacy and public trust as shown in the scenario. Answer the following questions in your explanation:
- What issues of public trust arise?
- What can be done to address issues of public trust?
- Where is discretion being used?
- Where could discretion be used more judiciously?
- Describe how public opinion can be influenced by using procedural justice for addressing the issue of homelessness. Answer the following questions in your description:
- How can procedural justice create a more positive public opinion about the LAPD’s work with the issues surrounding homelessness?
- How can police transparency aid the LAPD in this situation?
- Address police accountability through transparency to the public.
- Address how specific techniques, such as technology usage, may aid the LAPD in this situation.
- Explain how community policing concepts and principles can be applied to address the issue of homelessness as shown in the scenario.
- What are the principles of community policing?
- Why is community policing a valuable approach for today’s problems?
- How can community policing be applied to the issues surrounding homelessness in Los Angeles?
- Describe how the professional practice of policing for the LAPD changed in order to address the issue of homelessness in our current time. Answer the following questions in your description:
- What specific tactics has the LAPD taken in the past?
- What strategy of policing do these tactics show?
What to Submit
To complete this project, you must submit the following:
Create a 2- to 5-page written community plan for how your office should move forward in addressing the policing issues surrounding homelessness in Los Angeles from a community policing standpoint. The plan should address the rubric criteria listed above: police legitimacy and public trust, public opinion and procedural justice, community policing, and policing adaptations.
The following resource(s) may help support your work on the project:
Document: Project Three Scenario PDF
This scenario informs your project by giving background.
CJ 205 Project Two Scenario It is 0230 hours on Monday 07 Jan 19. A black SUV, license plate #YME 007, traveling westbound from Beachside City into Main City across the Central Bridge, is involved in a single motor vehicle crash. One other vehicle, a black BMW, stopped to contact emergency personnel, and its male driver is considered a witness in the incident. The state highway patrol has contacted dispatch and asked for assistance since their patrol unit is 30 miles west handling another accident. The Main City Sheriff’s Department will respond. Upon arrival at 0233 hours, officers observe the vehicle that has crashed into a barrier wall, and the two occupants are not responsive. They also observe open bottles of beer and vodka on the passenger and driver sides of the vehicle. Officers request fire rescue, which is already in route and arrives on-scene at 0235 hours. Paramedics triage and transport both victims (one male and one female, both in their late 20s) to Main City Trauma. Fire rescue arrives at the trauma center at 0254 hours, at which time the male expires in the emergency department. The female victim is still unresponsive and in critical condition. A media staging area is set up at the bridge. As local new stations arrive, they begin inquiring as to rumors that the Beachside City mayor’s son was involved in the accident and that he is the fatality. News reporters are asking the officers directly if this is factual. The preliminary information provided by the hospital and the sheriff’s department is that the fatality is in fact the mayor’s son. At 0330 hours, the news media is now also responding to the trauma center to inquire about the mayor’s son being involved in the accident. The hospital staff wants to provide a statement in conjunction with the police department. News agencies have begun flying helicopters over the area of the traffic accident and filming the incident. Local traffic will start to make its way both eastbound and westbound at 0530 due to residents working in Main City (west of the incident) and cyclists and runners who utilize Central Bridge to exercise toward Beachside City (east of the incident).