27 Jan In this course, we have been learning about the different time periods of policing. Based on the current climate, there is a level of distrust today between
In this course, we have been learning about the different time periods of policing. Based on the current climate, there is a level of distrust today between the police and the public. Riots, marches, and protests in response to high-profile police shootings have eroded the relationships that were built through community policing. With the hopes of improving police efficiency and finding new approaches to working together with the public, we move into a new period of policing.
Using the Internet links provided this week and your textbook look at the different periods of policing up to today. Based on the changing role and function of police officers over the years, address the questions below, ending with the current state of policing and how it is affected by technology.
- Examine different periods of policing and discuss their main strengths and weaknesses.
- Identify the period of policing that you believe has had the greatest impact, and justify why you feel that is.
- Explain how technology affects policing in today's society, including both the pros and cons.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The library is your home for SWS assistance, including citations and formatting. Please refer to the Library site for all supports. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Summarize the history and impact of key policing eras.
Policing in America
Police officers are the gatekeepers of criminal justice. They are the ones that initiate criminal proceedings against those accused of crimes and send them on their journey through the criminal justice system. Policing has evolved immensely over the centuries. Since the inception of policing in 1066, we have seen a transformation from ill-equipped, untrained, corrupt, and unsupervised watchmen to the highly trained and supervised police agencies we see today.
Question 1: Using Chapter 4, "Police in Society: History and Organization," of your textbook, complete the table below.
History of the
Overview of the
Time Period – What Defined It
This Time Period
This Time Period
(list two per time period)
Policing initially began as villages protecting each other from thieves and marauders. This system was overseen by a constable, appointed by the local nobleman. This system expanded into the watch system that patrolled larger cities and towns. Watchmen patrolled at night to protect against robberies, burglaries, and fires. They reported to a constable making up a sort of primitive police agency.
Citizens were responsible for keeping their cities and villages safe. Giving citizens this responsibility made it tougher for criminals to commit a crime undetected.
While the people of the village were responsible for reporting crimes, there was no formal training involved and no oversight to ensure that those responsible for preventing crimes were not the same ones committing crimes.
1. Back then, counties were known as shires, and head law enforcement agents in a county were known as shire reves, which is where we get the modern-day term sheriff.
2. In 1326, the Justice of the Peace was created and the role of law enforcement expanded beyond just reporting crimes. Justices then also served warrants, investigated crimes, and supervised the local watchmen.
1980–present (Community Policing period)
Question 2: Which ONE of the above time periods do you believe has had the greatest impact on policing, and why? Be sure to include your rationale.
( Type answer here ) –
Question 3: Social media and technology have greatly affected policing in the past ten years. Please review the links provided for this week on technology and policing along with Chapter 4 in your textbook as you prepare to discuss how technology affects policing in the 21st century.
After watching the above videos, choose one— cell phones, social media, or police body cams—and explain how it affects policing in today’s society. Describe the pros and cons and provide examples.
( Type answer here ) –
© 2023 Strayer University. All Rights Reserved. This document contains Strayer University Confidential and Proprietary information and may not be copied, further distributed, or otherwise disclosed in whole or in part, without the expressed written permission of Strayer University.
CRJ100 Template for Assignment (11/06/2023) Page 2 of 2