22 Jul Consider the goals of the juvenile justice system, which focus on reintegrating juveniles into the commun
Consider the goals of the juvenile justice system, which focus on reintegrating juveniles into the community as productive members of society. Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapters 8 and 9 of Introduction to Juvenile Justice. In addition,
- Read Youth Pathways to Placement: The Influence of Gender, Mental Health Needs and Trauma on Confinement in the Juvenile Justice System
- Read Treatment Services in the Juvenile Justice System: Examining the Use and Funding of Services by Youth on Probation
- Read The Impact of Victimization and Mental Health Symptoms on Recidivism for Early System-Involved Juvenile Offenders
- Read Research Review: Independent Living Programmes: The Influence on Youth Ageing out of Care
- Watch Juvenile Justice. https://fod.infobase.com/PortalPlaylists.aspx?wID=100753&xtid=56083
You are also encouraged to review the Week 4 Recommended Resources.
Compare and contrast treatment options for special populations identified in our text (i.e., early starters, juvenile gangs, or juvenile sex offenders) and advocate for, or against, shifting juveniles in this category to treatment options outside normal juvenile delinquency programs. You should identify a specific category identified as being part of special populations and a treatment option as part of the discussion. What are the benefits to this program in addressing the special population? Are there drawbacks, if so what are they? How are outcomes identified and measured?
Note: this discussion format will differ from formats in prior courses. The goal of this discussion forum is to have a single conversation about the topic of treatment for special populations of juvenile offenders, not a series of separate conversations. You must post in the discussion on at least three separate days by Day 7; your total word count for your posts should be a minimum of 600 words. There is no required word count for individual posts as long as your combined posts total at least 600 words. However, you must use at least one in-text citation to support your claims and properly cite any references. See