13 Oct Assignment: Comparing Humanistic-Existential Psychotherapy with Other Approaches
Assignment: Comparing Humanistic-Existential Psychotherapy with Other Approaches
Understanding the strengths of each type of therapy and which type of therapy is most appropriate for each patient is an essential skill of the psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner. In this Assignment, you will compare humanistic-existential therapy to another psychotherapeutic approach. You will identify the strengths and challenges of each approach and describe expected potential outcomes.
• Review the humanistic-existential psychotherapy videos in this week’s Learning Resources.
• Reflect on humanistic-existential psychotherapeutic approaches.
• Then, select another psychotherapeutic approach to compare with humanistic-existential psychotherapy. The approach you choose may be one you previously explored in the course or one you are familiar with and especially interested in.
In a 2- to 3-page paper, address the following:
• Briefly describe humanistic-existential psychotherapy and the second approach you selected.
• Explain at least three differences between these therapies. Include how these differences might impact your practice as a PMHNP.
• Focusing on one video you viewed, explain why humanistic-existential psychotherapy was utilized with the patient in the video and why it was the treatment of choice. Describe the expected potential outcome if the second approach had been used with the patient.
• Support your response with specific examples from this week’s media and at least three peer-reviewed, evidence-based sources. Explain why each of your supporting sources is considered scholarly. Attach the PDFs of your sources.
Note: The School of Nursing requires that all papers submitted include a title page, introduction, summary, and references. The Sample Paper provided at the Walden Writing Center provides an example of those required elements (available at http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/templates). All papers submitted must use this formatting.
Theories of Counseling – Existential Therapy – YouTube
James Bugental Live Case Consultation Psychotherapy Video – YouTube
James Bugental: Humanistic Psychotherapy (excerpt) — A Thinking Allowed DVD w/ Jeffrey Mishlove – YouTube
Reading Sources and References
• For reference as needed
Nichols, M., & Davis, S. D. (2020). The essentials of family therapy (7th ed.). Pearson.
• Chapter 7, “Experiential Family Therapy”
Wheeler, K. (Ed.). (2020). Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: A how-to guide for evidence-based practice (3rd ed.). Springer Publishing.
• Chapter 6, “Humanistic-Existential and Solution-Focused Approaches to Psychotherapy”