23 May Public policy is a goal-oriented course of action that the government follows in dealing with a problem or issue in the country. Public policies are based on law, but many people
Posted at 09:26h in Business & Finance / Management
Public policy is a goal-oriented course of action that the government follows in dealing with a problem or issue in the country. Public policies are based on law, but many people other than legislators set them. Individuals, groups, and even government agencies all play a part in the policy-making process, and they can bring about some positive, some negative, and often some unintended impacts and outcomes.
Write a 3-4 page paper in which you do the following:
- Select a topic from the following categories (for example, obesity from the health category):
- Health: Obesity, opioid abuse, alcohol abuse, cigarette taxes.
- Criminal Justice: death penalty, drug policy, and gun control.
- Culture and Society: abortion, arts, and civil rights.
- Economic Affairs: budget and taxes.
- Education: school safety.
- Environment: air quality and global warming.
- Explain why you chose the topic. Title this section Topic: Your Topic.
- Some of the outside influencers on public policy include public opinion, economic conditions, scientific findings, interest groups, political ideology, etc. How would each of these influencers impact your chosen topic? Use specific examples. Title this section Outside Influencers.
- Give one example of how a public policy in your chosen topic might have unexpected outcomes or unintended consequences. Title this section Unexpected Outcomes or Unintended Consequences.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The library is your home for SWS assistance, including citations and formatting. Please refer to the Library site for all support. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- A minimum of three professional references (Wikipedia is not accepted in this class).
- Keep in mind the Master of Public Administration Library Guide for a list of databases focused on Public Administration and for guidance on library research in general.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Evaluate the influencers, positive and negative, and the impacts, intended and unintended, of a public policy.